Latest blog articles
Workers buck draft guidelines on ‘endo’
MANILA, Philippines - Labor groups yesterday rejected the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)’s proposed new guidelines on contractual employment, and called on President Duterte to just issue an order banning all forms of contractualization.
Trade unions under the labor coalition NagKaisa said the draft department order presented by DOLE to them would not stop, but even strengthen, contractualization in the country.
“The draft new department order may seem to restrict labor contracting to seasonal and project employment but these employment schemes may, however, be extended to cover jobs, work or services which are directly related to the business operations of a company,” said Renato Magtubo, chair of Partido ng Manggagawa.
“As such, contractualization of labor would still proliferate in the guise of describing the job, work or service as seasonal or project employment,” he added.
Magtubo also said the proposed DOLE order recognizes trilateral employment relationship, which has long been opposed by organized labor as it undermines workers’ rights to security of tenure, to organize and to collectively bargain.
The draft DOLE order was presented to labor groups during the tripartite executive committee of the Tripartite Industrial Peace Council last week. Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III is expected to sign it on Dec. 28.