Latest blog articles
Rody: I would have killed shabu lab suspects
If President Duterte can have his way, he will not spare the lives of the three Chinese and their Filipino cohorts who were arrested last week in drug raids on shabu laboratories in San Juan City where around 890 kilos of shabu, with an estimated street value of P6 billion, were seized.
Duterte said he would have killed the operators of the shabu storage facilities, noting the many lives that would be destroyed by the illegal drugs that were ready for distribution.
“They were lucky I was not in Manila. If I were there, I would have killed them,” the President told reporters yesterday.
Duterte reiterated that he would not stop the drug war until the last pusher is out of the streets and the last drug lord is killed.
Drug raps filed
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) filed drug charges against the suspects before the Department of Justice (DOJ) yesterday.
Charged with the manufacture, trading, delivery, distribution, possession and transportation of dangerous drugs were Shi Gui Xiong, Che Wen De and Wu Li Yong along with Abdullah Mahmod Jahmal, Salim Cocodao Arafat and Basher Tawaki Jamal.
Assisted by a lawyer, the suspects waived their right to be released from detention and opted to remain in the custody of the NBI pending resolution of the charges.
Investigating Assistant State Prosecutors Mary Jane Sytat and Ethel Rhea Suril set the preliminary investigation on Jan. 3.
The suspects were apprehended by agents of the NBI, Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency and Philippine National Police in successive raids on shabu laboratories on Mangga street in Barangay Little Baguio and Bonifacio street in San Juan on Dec. 23.
Authorities said they recovered 890 kilos of packed methamphetamines, equipment and drums of chemicals used to produce shabu as well as liquid shabu.
Biggest shabu haul
Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II lauded the NBI for the operation, which he considered as the biggest shabu haul in recent years.
“This is the biggest drug bust so far. During the previous administration, they said they were able to haul around P3-billion shabu in six years. In just six months, the Duterte government topped that record,” Aguirre said.
“Most likely, we will win the war on illegal drugs,” he added.
The raids were the result of four-month surveillance by the NBI-Task Force Against Illegal Drugs under its Red Dragon project.
The seized contraband had been turned over to the NBI-Forensic Chemistry Division.
Aguirre said it was impossible that the local police and city government officials have no knowledge of the shabu facilities in San Juan “considering the magnitude of the group’s operation.”
“This proved that President Duterte was right all along when he said that the proliferation of illegal drugs happens in the noses of the local officials. We cannot tell you the names but there are mayors and barangay officials involved,” he said.
NBI director Dante Gierran thanked Duterte for allowing the bureau to crack down on illegal drugs. – With Rey Galupo