Duterte apologizes over MRT troubles
Image from Ivan Caballero Villegas’ Twitter account shows MRT passengers watching the main train unit moving forward as the coach they were riding was decoupled midway between the Ayala and Gil Puyat stations on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017.
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has apologized for the inconvenience caused by the detaching of an MRT-3 coach from a train in Makati City last week.
While believing that the incident might have been caused by a “sabotage,” Duterte said he would not make excuses for it.
READ: MRT limits operations after 'baffling' decoupling incident
“It would indicate sabotage or something did it intentionally. So maybe the connecting mechanisms there or equipment seems to be—they could not locate it or it’s not there when it’s supposed to be there,” Duterte told reporters in Davao City Saturday night.
“Well, that is one angle that they are trying to… But this does not—this is not an excuse actually. We offer no excuse, but apologies maybe to the public for the inconvenience caused,” he added.
Train coaches decoupled from a northbound train in Makati during morning rush hour last Thursday, the latest incident to hound the oft-troubled MRT 3.
Initial investigation revealed that the “messma card” from the detached train cars was missing, fueling suspicions that the incident was caused by human intervention. The card is important in identifying the cause of the incident because it records the interventions in all MRT-3 trains.
READ: Passenger loses hand in MRT station accident
Transport officials have assured the public that the incident is being probed thoroughly and efforts are underway to ensure the safety of commuters.
A similar glitch happened in 2011 when an electrical problem caused a train coupler to detach at the GMA Kamuning Station in Quezon City.
WATCH: MRT-3 cuts train speed by half due to safety checks