FILE PHOTO: Overseas Filipino Workers
The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is studying the possibility of suspending the deployment of household workers to Kuwait following the execution of overseas Filipino worker (OFW) Jakatia Pawa last January 25.
For this reason, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III is set to meet with Philippine ambassador to Kuwait Renato Pedro Villa on Thursday.
Usec. Dominador Say said the meeting is in line with the previous statement of the secretary on the moratorium or proposal to postpone the deployment of Filipino household workers to Kuwait.
Secretary Bello visited Kuwait last week to check on the condition of Filipino worker Elpidio Lano who is currently on death row for killing another Filipino on June 17, 2014.
“After that execution of Pawa, the secretary made his pronouncement. He was just expressing what’s on his mind, that was to postpone the deployment. The Kuwaiti ambassador might have reacted, that’s why he asked for an audience with the secretary,” said Usec. Say
Earlier this morning, another OFW was reported killed.
DOLE has yet to determine the identity of the victim and the cause of death.
Based on initial reports, the victim either fell off a building or was beaten up by his or her employer.
Usec. Say further noted that based on statistics, Kuwait has the highest number of Filipino household service workers, who experience abuse.
“Sadly we have to admit, of all gulf countries, Kuwait has the largest concentration of domestic helpers or household service workers and by statistics again Kuwait has the highest incidents of abuses,” said Say.
This is why the agency is advising Filipinos to avoid finding job abroad especially in such countries where incidents of abuse are rampant.
DOLE also assured that they are not neglecting any OFWs facing charges abroad. — Jun Soriao | UNTV News and Rescue
The post Labor department eyes ban deployment of Filipino domestic workers to Kuwait appeared first on UNTV News.